Thursday, March 31, 2011

Making Mayonnaise

Do you guys know that packaged mayonnaise or the white stuff that's plopped on to your burgers in India is not even close to the real stuff? The real stuff is made from egg and tastes out of this world! Its not like white sauce, hell it ain't even white!

I made a really tiny quantity of it, just about 2-3 tablespoons 'cos I was trying it for the first time. Next time around, I will probably reduce the amount of vinegar and try olive oil.

Homemade Mayonnaise (makes 2-4 tablespoons)


1 egg yolk
1 tsp vinegar
1/2 tsp dry mustard powder (yellow)
1/2 tsp white pepper powder
1/2 tsp lemon juice
a pinch of salt
two pinches of sugar
1/4 cup sunflower or regular cooking oil (not mustard)

Add the egg yolk with all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl. Whisk for about 3 minutes until the mixture becomes pale yellow.


Add oil in increments of one or two drops at a time and keep whisking until combined. When you've used half the oil, add lemon juice and vinegar. Let rest at room temperature for an hour before using.

I learned this from my mother and then I also Googled it. Alton Brown has the same recipe!


NOTES:

1. The vinegar was too overpowering for me so am going to reduce the amount of vinegar next time.
2. Although regular cooking oil is used to make mayonnaise, I will try using olive oil to see how the flavors mix up.
3. When making a larger batch, keep the quantity of the other ingredients same and increase the proportion of oil to one cup.
4. I used a standard egg beater/hand whisk because of the small quantity I was making but you can use an electric whisk to reduce the time and effort.
4. The homemade version is really, really good for your hair!

No comments:

Post a Comment