Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer Fruit Sorbet With Mint

Delhi is experiencing some weird weather. I mean, I just cannot explain why it is so hot and humid and then dusty and windy all in the same day. In other news, my evening walking and running routine is going very well. There is some minuscule weight loss too, not much but I shall get there soon enough (hopefully!). I have increased my running to 500m which takes half my life away! Most days, I can barely manage to walk back home. Sigh. Weight loss is tough.

My fridge is full of amazing summer fruits - cantaloupe, peaches, apricots, lychees, mangoes and plums. They have been behaving well since the last two weeks by not rotting away. Because I was so happy with their long shelf life (am pretty sure its because of pesticides and other chemical things but let's ignore that), I decided to make a sorbet!


Okay so I have never made a sorbet before but it seemed easy. Boil, pulverize, freeze, pulverize, freeze - pretty simple right? And the best part is its almost healthy!


Summer Fruit Sorbet - makes enough to last a week

6-8 ripe plums
3 ripe peaches
1 large mango
3 tbsp rum or red wine
1/4 cup sugar or honey
10 mint leaves
1/2 cup water

Chop all the fruits roughly and set aside. In a large saucepan, add water, sugar, and the chopped fruits. Cook on high for ten minutes till the water starts boiling. Turn off the heat and leave to cool.


Take a walk, watch TV, do the laundry while the fruits cool. Once the mixture is at room temperature, pour all of it in a food processor along with the mint and blend till smooth, about a minute or two.

You can either sieve it into a freezer safe container or pour it as it is. Check the sorbet after 4-5 hours. When it is barely set, remove from freezer and blend again in the food processors until smooth. Pour back into the container and let it set completely.


Serve cold. To avoid brain freeze, do not serve chilled! I think it would also be great with some whipped cream or even vanilla ice cream. This book I have suggests serving them with sugar cookies or financiers.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment