Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Inexpensive But Amazing


Your kitchen is a storehouse of ingredients that can work wonders for your skin. There was a time when I spent mega bucks on skincare products, which unfortunately, never worked like they promised. My love for commercial skincare dwindled when I found Pinterest. It's hard to believe that regular spices like cinnamon or common ingredients like baking soda are so wonderful, but they really are.

With Pinterest, I've found many amazing things and the list below includes the best face masks that cost less than Rs. 10. They're much better than spending thousands of bucks getting salon treatments!

Gelatin Pore Mask


Original link: Petit Elefant

You need:

1 tbsp unflavored gelatin (found easily in department stores)
1.5 tbsp milk

Mix both the ingredients in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on HI for 15 seconds. Remove and apply on face and neck immediately. Be quick about it since the mask hardens very quickly.

Let it dry for 15 minutes and strip it off.

My verdict: Um, the mask is kind of painful 'cos it yanks out blackheads and some facial hair. I get a lot of blackheads and this mask removed all of them! I use it once every two weeks.

Apply moisturizer after removing the mask to reduce redness.

Baking Soda Mask


Original link: Beauty Bets

You need:

1 tbsp baking soda (NOT baking powder)
1/2 tbsp water or orange juice

Mix baking soda with water/orange juice and apply on face. Keep for 20 minutes and rinse off in circular motions, like you do when you use a scrub.

Do not talk with the mask on. This can cause it to flake off.

My verdict: Since discovering the baking soda mask, it has become my absolute favorite! I use it once a week and it is so very good! It strips off dead skin cells to reveal younger, softer skin. My online research tells me that it mimics the action of a chemical peel but it isn't that strong.

Also, some people worry if it's safe for your face. Yes, it is because it has the same pH as your skin.

After removing the mask, your face will be slightly red. Clean with a toner and apply moisturizer.

Nutmeg and Milk Mask

Original link: Viva Woman

You need:

1/2 tsp powdered nutmeg
1/4 tsp milk
1/4 tsp cinnamon powder

Mix all of them together and apply it on acne scars. Leave for 30 minutes and rinse off with warm water.

My verdict: Note that the original recipe uses honey in place of milk but I remember using this mask when I was still in school. I'd read it in some magazine and it had worked wonders back then.

Use it everyday for a week, once a day. Repeat once a month.

Have fun with these, ladies! (Till I come back with a recipe.)

1 comment:

  1. These are really interesting! I will have to try them.

    ReplyDelete