Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Eggless Raisin Scones

Baking scones had been on my mind ever since I discovered the endless possibilities involving flour, sugar, and butter (also, baking powder). Somehow, they never made it to my oven...possibly because I had no idea about the taste and texture of perfect scones. When I chanced upon this recipe (thank you Fatima...yet again!), I just HAD to make them. 

So, I spent quite a while researching about the texture and put my skills to test. If you haven't tasted scones yet (we don't get them in India...or so I think 'cos I have never seen them anywhere), prepare to be surprised. They taste nothing like cake or cookies. In fact, the texture is slightly crumbly, with a crisp crust and a soft inside...they're out of this world amazing!

For the egg version, Schee Culina's recipe is wonderful. I was out of eggs so I decided to improvise. 


Don't they look beautiful? 

Eggless Raisin Scones 

- makes 8 scones

2 cups all-purpose flour
8 tbsp powdered sugar
3 tbsp yogurt (dahi)
100 gms cold butter
1/4 cup milk (mixed with 1/2 tbsp vinegar and set aside for 5 minutes) + 2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
handful of raisins or 1/4 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 180C.

Sift the dry ingredients together. Cut the cold butter into small cubes and mix with the flour till the mixture resembles coarse crumbs, like you would do to make pie crust. 

Now, add in the sour milk, vanilla, yogurt, and raisins. Knead till the mixture comes together and forms a dough. 

Shape the dough into a ball and cut into two. Place the halves on top of each other and cut into two again. Now, place these on top of each other and cut again. Pile all the halves and roll out the dough into a long rectangle (pictures of the procedure here). 

Line a baking tray with butter paper/parchment and place the scones on the tray. Lightly brush them with milk and bake for 17 minutes. 

Serve warm with butter, jam, or Nutella.


1 comment:

  1. Yayyyyyyy...the scones look fantastic,I bet they also tasted great:D And many thanks for referring back to my blog as well:)

    ReplyDelete