Monday, June 13, 2011

Upside Down Caramelized Plum Cake

I cannot tell you how stressed I am - work, life, and other things in general. Baking is being neglected which isn't a good thing but what can a girl do? I can either stuff my face with butter, sugar, and maybe more sugar or I can focus on W O R K, which is unending I tell you! Unending.

But I had to take some stress off. I was thinking about baking something with sour plums - the only ones I managed to find but how can you bake a cake without making it too sour? A sour cake just doesn't go well with me. This is a self created recipe - huzzah!



Makes a six inch cake.

For caramelized plums:

7-8 medium sized plums
1/2 cup dark rum
1/2 + 1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp water
1 cinnamon stick

For cake:

1.5 cups all purpose flour
1/4 cup leftover rum
1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg

Cut plums in half and remove the seeds. Mix rum with 1/2 cup granulated sugar and soak the plums for about 4-5 hours. Remove the plums and drain out excess juice.

Make caramel with 1/4 cup sugar, 2 tbsp water. Add the cinnamon stick while the caramel is cooking for added flavor.

Cover your baking dish with aluminum foil and grease it. Preheat oven to 150C.

Layer the plums in the dish and pour caramel on top. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar for cake. Add egg and leftover rum mixture (1/4 cup). Now add all the dry ingredients and mix well. Pour over the caramelized plums.

Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean.



Let cool till room temperature (very important otherwise your cake will break apart). Place a plate on top of the cake dish and invert the cake onto the plate. Chill in refrigerator. Serve cold with vanilla ice cream.

NOTES:

1. Use ripe plums. When buying plums, choose ones that are squishy (I know this doesn't sound right but that's how it is).

2. If you are impatient, please wait a minimum of ten minutes before turning the cake.

3. The icing in the last picture is made with one cup icing sugar mixed with one tablespoon of boiling hot water.

2 comments:

  1. Love the way you write Khusboo. Squishy plums and not so friendly neighbourhood shops sound just right if you happen to live in the NCR! Nice cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you! Your comment means SO much to me. I absolutely loooove your cakes and all the amazing cakes you bake. Thanks a ton for stopping by :)

    ReplyDelete