Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pumpkin Spice Bread with Brown Sugar Rum Glaze

Yeah, I've been missing for a long, long time and I haven't cooked or baked anything special 'cos its just too much work in this humid weather. Not to mention, there were deadlines to meet, things to do, and not enough time to take lovely crappy pictures of my food.

The market is flooded with pumpkins so I thought why not try baking with 'em. I had since pumpkin bread, pumpkin cake, and pumpkin muffins on numerous blogs but I wasn't sure how it would taste. Believe you me! It tastes awesome, just AWESOME. I kind of never expected that from a lowly pumpkin. 


Pumpkin Spice Bread with Brown Sugar Rum Glaze

1 cup pureed pumpkin
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup oil
1 egg
1 tbsp cinnamon powder
1 tsp ginger powder
1 tsp grated nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda

Preheat oven to 160C. Grease and flour a loaf tin and set aside. In a food processor, combine all the ingredients and pulse for 1-2 minutes. Add more milk if the batter is too thick. Pour into the greased tin and bake for 40-45 mins till a toothpick inserted in the middle of the bread comes out clean. Let cool on a wire rack.


Brown Sugar Rum Glaze

3 tbsp brown sugar
2 tbsp rum
1 tbsp condensed milk

Combine all the ingredients and whisk until smooth. Pour over the bread.


NOTES: 

Feel free to increase the amount of sugar in the bread to one cup if required. I don't like overly sweet cakes or breads so I used less.

No comments:

Post a Comment